Tuesday, June 14, 2011

He Will Hit You Again

Hi everyone! Well, during my long hiatus from posting, a pretty significant event went on.

I never made any mention of it, but my father has always been abusive. From emotional to physical abuse, he's really guilty of almost everything a person can be in the way that they treat other people. Some of my earliest memories are of him losing his temper and laying hands on me or spewing his hurtful words. I usually just shut up, or cried, but later I would always go back. Women through the ages have said it, but I will not hesitate to tell you again: If a man ever hits you, he will hit you again and it will never stop.


This particular incident was of him hearing some mention I made of the Oprah Winfrey Show (mistake #1), which made him think he had the right to call me a certain word beginning with "f" and ending in "t", we've all heard it. I then told him rather calmly, but bitterly, that he ought not to use words like that because if he slipped up he would use his job (mistake #2). He then told me that I had better hope nothing like that happens because then I would be "screwed financially," (I wouldn't, my mother is a lot of things but she's also a stable provider). At this point I was just absolutely seething, I haven't felt an ounce of love towards that man in I don't know how long. I got the courage to tell him, "You would deserve it," (mistake #3 and the kiss of death)

This began an episode in which he first ejected me from his apartment, saying terrible, vulgar things as I walked out, and ultimately I just couldn't take it and I called out, "drop dead!" behind me. It felt wonderful. However, he then burst through the apartment door, seized my arm, and started screaming and cursing. I yelled and kicked as loud and as hard as I could so he couldn't get me back in that god-forsaken apartment. I knew what would happen if he did. He quickly let me go (I believe out of fear of someone seeing him) and recoiled into his house.

I have since refused all contact. I've been at my mother's house ever since. The next time he decides to call and try to leave me some sob story on my answering machine, or further berate my mother, I'm going to answer and calmly explain to him that I will not be seeing him anymore. I have no ill will towards him, but there is no room for him or that kind of behavior in my life. He never learned the truth about me and I think he just proved that he never deserves to.

No one, will ever lay a hand on me again.

4 comments:

  1. No one deserves that kind of abuse, and no one should ever have to take it. Unfortunately there are all too many children who aren't yet old enough to go out on their own, and are forced to endure that kind of abuse from one parent or another.

    Good for you for standing up to him. Let's hope that some day he can find the courage to conquer his own demons, and overcome his need to take his frustrations out on you and your mother. Until then, you should stay as far away from him as possible.

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know what else there is to say, Melissa said it so very well. While thinking about this, the only thing I can think of to help, is to find a friend who can maybe take you in for awhile, until things cool down. Just be sure to do what Melissa said and keep your distance.

    Many hugs and I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words and support. I'm so lucky that my parents are divorced and my mother supports my decision to stay away from him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren...
    I'm so sorry you've had to endure this from a parent, but that said, I want to commend you for having the wisdom and the maturity to recognize that an abusive violent and dangerous man will always be an abusive violent and dangerous man! There are many women much older than you who could benefit from your knowledge!

    You are a remarkable young woman and I wish you God Speed on your Journey!

    ReplyDelete