Sunday, February 27, 2011

Voice Phobia

What makes a voice beautiful? Is it the way it flows with a melody, or its velvety softness as it follows a sweet tune? Well, it's certainly not the high-pitched squeak that mine so often breaks of into. You'd think I would have gotten off easy by only progressing a very short way into the wrong puberty, but nothing's ever that easy for a transgirl. Of everything I missed out on, mother nature made sure to strangle the heck out of my voice. Compared to where I started, I'm in a wonderful place and when I practice alone, marvelous, but god(Jesus, Buddah, Allah, Spongebob) forbid there's someone else around, I can barely make a sound or I might even let out that dreadful squeak. My voice phobia is my last hurdle in passing but it is certainly the greatest. I've considered a voice coach but seeing as I can do it when I'm on my own, should I? Does anybody else have a case of voice phobia?

2 comments:

  1. Voice is definitely a pretty hard hurdle to get over in transition, it was for me as well. I had a similar problem back when I first started going full time. I did just fine alone, but in front of other people it was so much harder. My advice is don't waste money on a voice coach if you're doing just fine on your own. It's a confidence issue, so it's all about just working up the courage. It's going to take a while, but with time you'll get it. After a while it just becomes second nature and you don't even have to think about it. I slip up sometimes now and then still, but I did pretty well working on my voice alone, so don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sage is absolutely right. I am nervous about my voice too, but for me, it sounds too deep. A lot of it is psychological for me too. If I'm alone or on the phone, I can get higher, because I know nobody can see me. I recently made a YouTube video, and my voice sounds low to me. It might've been harder for me to get it higher because I knew people would be watching me talk. But by recording videos of myself, I think I've found a good way to practice. ;)

    ReplyDelete